- Cook the rice and vegetables on the stove or in the microwave. Meanwhile, slice star fruit and trim pineapple.
- Set rice and vegetables aside and keep warm. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Insert cloves into the veal roast. In a thick-bottomed pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the roast and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Add the onion rings, tropical fruit juice, chicken broth, white rum, fresh ginger and ground cinnamon. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Baste twice during cooking. Remove lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven, place on a serving plate and cover with aluminium foil. Keep warm and let stand for 15 minutes. Put the roasting pan on the stove and bring broth to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture. Mix well and let simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add star fruit and pineapple to the sauce and heat through. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the fruit sauce over the roast and serve with white rice, red beans and a green vegetable.
: Replace the tropical fruit juice by apple juice. Replace pineapple cubes and star fruit by large cubes of apples and pears.