- Mix the sesame seeds and ginger together in a small bowl and then spread the mixture out onto a serving dish.
- Stick a toothpick or small skewer into each tomato and set aside.
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cumin over medium heat.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Boil syrup without stirring until it reaches the hard crack stage or 150°C (300°F) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Dip each tomato quickly into the caramel and then right away into the sesame-ginger mixture.
- Serve as soon as the caramel cools.
*Use white corn syrup, the perfect replacement for the glucose that candy
makers use to avoid the crystallization of syrup and caramel. However, it ’s
still important to avoid stirring the caramel once it comes to a boil, because
this will make the caramel opaque and crumbly.