- Combine all ingredients (except flank steak) in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Place pieces of flank steak in a glass Pyrex dish and pour in marinade.
- Let marinate in the fridge at least 2 hours (ideally longer), with plastic wrap placed directly over the flank steak to seal it.
- Take flank steak out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking so it reaches room temperature.
- Use a cast iron grilling pan to cook steak on the stove, or cook outside on the BBQ.
- Remove flank steaks from marinade and set marinade aside.
- Grill flank steaks on high in the grill pan or on the BBQ for 6 to 7 minutes per side to desired doneness.
- Let steak stand wrapped in aluminum foil for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and let simmer at least 5 minutes. Marinade can also be heated on the BBQ if it is equipped with grilling pans.
- When serving, spoon cooked marinade over each flank steak.
Serve flank steak with grilled bok choy and fries.
If you have leftover flank steak, finely slice it and make an impromptu Vietnamese salad with a bit of fish sauce (nuoc mam), a little sweet chili sauce, minced green onion, iceberg lettuce, and lime zest and juice.