Stefano Faita's Sausage stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Generously grease a large baking dish. Set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a very large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer sausage to bowl of bread cubes.
- In the same skillet, add 45 mL (3 tbsp.) olive oil. (Do not remove the sausage fat which adds more flavour and moisture to the stuffing.) When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, sage, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until celery and onion are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl of bread cubes. Cool to room temperature.
- When bread mixture has cooled, add the eggs, Parmesan, cranberries, parsley, salt, and pepper. Add enough chicken broth to moisten the mixture, stirring gently to combine all the ingredients. (Add chicken broth as needed. The bread should be moist but not soaked.)
- Transfer bread mixture to greased baking dish and press down lightly. Cover with foil wrap and bake until centre of stuffing is hot, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil and continue baking until stuffing is golden brown and edges slightly crispy, about 20 to 25 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley.