- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- With a sharp knife, remove stocks and base from fennel bulbs. Cut bulbs in half lengthwise.
- Place vegetable stock in a large saucepan and add halved fennel bulbs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 35 minutes, or until fennel is tender. Turn bulbs once during cooking.
- Remove fennel from saucepan and place in an ovenproof dish. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish each half with 15 mL (1 tbsp.) Emmental cheese and then cover with eggplant slices.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle remaining cheese and broil for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden. Serve as a side dish for grilled fish or poultry.
Aide-gourmet tip: Add a thin slice of onion, and garnish dish with your choice of fresh herbs.