- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease and flour a 10 cm x 20 cm (4 x 8 in.) loaf pan
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and espelette or cayenne pepper, if using.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, and milk together in a large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture, Gruyère, feta, spinach, and green onions. Using a wooden spoon, combine ingredients well without over stirring.
- Transfer mixture to loaf pan.
- Sprinkle pumpkin or sunflower seeds on top.
- Bake in centre of oven for 60 minutes and let cool in pan.
- Remove from pan, cut into cubes and serve with olives, or nuts and fresh veggies at cocktail hour. Well wrapped, this cake can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 weeks. Once thawed to room temperature, warm in a 120°C (250°F) oven for 5 minutes before serving.
For this recipe we used Bulgarian ewe's milk feta
Go ahead and double the recipe for holiday time. You can serve one cake at cocktail hour and give the other as a gift along with a bottle of wine.
Use leftover raw spinach in soup or lightly sautéed in an omelette or pasta dish.