- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium, nonstick skillet, heat oil and add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover partially and cook about 5 min over low heat,, stirring often, until very soft,.
- Adjust heat to medium. Add beef and brown well. Add tomatoes and simmer 7 to 10 min or until juices evaporate,.
- Meanwhile in a large pot of boiling water, blanch peppers for 2 min. Drain well. Place cut-side up on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add rice and corn to meat mixture. Stir in egg and cilantro.
- Divide mixture evenly between pepper halves, mounding as needed.
- Bake 10 to 15 min. or until peppers are softened.
- Garnish with sour cream. Serve with spinach tossed with dressing.
Chef’s secret: To get 500 ml (2 cups) cooked rice, cook about 125 g (4 oz.) of rice, i.e., 175 mL (3/4 cup). If you don’t have any sour cream handy, you can replace it with Greek yoghurt to add a touch of tartness to the peppers.
The cost per serving was calculated based on prices in effect during the week of February 23 to March 1, 2017.