- Preheat oven broiler. Place the bottom half of walnut bread on a cutting board and save the top half for another use. Cut bread lengthwise to obtain 4 rectangles.
- Slice each rectangle into 3 to make 12 squares in all, and then halve each square diagonally to make a total of 24 triangles. Brush bread triangles with olive oil and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until bread is lightly toasted. Reserve.
- Combine honey, wine, water, fennel seeds, cloves and sprig of thyme. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Gently immerse figs in hot syrup. Remove from heat and allow to cool, leaving figs to macerate for 30 minutes. Place 5 mL (1 tsp.) blue cheese on one half of each toasted triangle and a piece of fig on the other half.
- Garnish each triangle with a piece of walnut and a sprig of fresh thyme.
Variation: Replace honey by maple syrup, and substitute brie for the blue cheese. Top with pecan halves instead of walnuts.