- Heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of butter in a large skillet over high heat.
- Brown the mushrooms and bacon. Add the shallot and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze with red wine. Reduce until almost dry. Add the thyme and veal stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, dredge veal liver in the flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat. Fry liver for about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve the liver with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable like Brussel sprouts.
It's important to serve liver slightly pink inside to retain its tender texture.