French onion soup au gratin with Grondines cheese
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Stir regularly and add the garlic for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add the flour and cook 1 minute.
- Deglaze with red wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the broth, thyme, and bay leaves. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Separate the soup into 4 ovenproof bowls. Top each one with two baguette slices and evenly divide the cheese among them. Bake in the oven about 5 minutes. Preheat the broiler to 260°C (500°F) and place the bowls underneath for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.