- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a small bowl, mix together butter and onion soup mix. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat and sear roast on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove roast, season with pepper, and coat all over with the butter-onion soup mixture.
- Reduce heat and deglaze the roasting pan with the beef stock, being sure to scrape the bottom to detach the browned bits. Remove from heat, return roast to roasting pan, and arrange vegetables around it.
- Roast in the oven, uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 63°C (145°F) for medium-rare doneness. Remove roast from pan, cover with aluminum foil, and let stand for about 10 minutes before carving.
For thicker gravy, return roasting pan to heat while roast is standing, bring to a boil, and add a bit of corn starch that's been mixed with a little cold water. Stir and let thicken.