French toast with apple topping and homemade caramel sauce
French toast with apple topping:
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add the corn syrup and
- simmer 5 to 10 minutes without boiling. Remove from heat and slowly
- stir in the evaporated milk and water. Add the vanilla. Set aside in a bowl.
- Mix together the apple slices, 30 mL (2 tbsp.) brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) butter in a non-stick skillet over mediumhigh heat, add apple mixture and cook, stirring regularly, for 10 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and remaining brown sugar. Dip bread slices into egg mixture on both sides, ensuring slices are entirely coated.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat and lay two slices in pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until bread is golden. Repeat process with the remaining two slices of bread.
- To serve, place one slice of French toast onto each plate and garnish with some apple mixture, a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce, and a bit of plain yogurt.