- Pour simple syrup* into a large glass.
- Add fruit and fresh herbs. Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash fruits and herbs in the bottom of the glass.
- Fill glass with crushed ice and pour carbonated water over top. Enjoy. Finishing touches:
- For a stronger version, add white rum to taste.
- Frost glass rim by rubbing with a lemon or lime and then dipping in a saucer of sugar.
- Add a slice of lime and a mint leaf, or a blackberry and sprig of tarragon to the glass for a pretty garnish.
*Simple syrup: In a small saucepan, boil 125 mL (1/2 cup) sugar and 125 mL (1/2 cup) water over high heat for 5 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool. Simple syrup can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge, so that you'll have some within easy reach all summer