General Tao poutine from François Chartier
- Soak cut fries in a large bowl of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer to 170°C (325°F).
- Combine the chicken broth, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and Sriracha or sambal oelek in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in a little water and then whisk it into broth. Simmer until it thickens. Set aside.
- Drain fries and pat dry with a dish cloth or paper towel. Place potatoes in deep fryer basket and blanch for about 2 minutes. The goal is to pre-cook the fries, without browning.
- Drain fries well and set to cool on a on a rack or baking sheet. Increase oil temperature to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Put fries back into deep fryer and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Divide fries into 4 bowls and top with cheese curds, some reserved sauce, and then sprinkle with fresh mint. Serve immediately.