- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan (unheated) until mixture becomes pale.
- Gradually whisk in the hot cream and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. When mixture coats the back of a spoon, pour it through a mesh strainer and then refrigerate.
Sushi dessert rice:
- Put rice in a large bowl and rinse gently with cold water, stirring with a wooden or plastic spoon, and then drain. Repeat 4 or 5 times until water remains clear. This removes excess starch from the rice.
- Follow package instructions to cook rice in water in a rice cooker or saucepan.
- When cooked, stir in English cream with a wooden spoon.
- Let cool completely.
- Make the California maki base. (See technique below).
- Spread nutella along the centre of the rice.
- Arrange raspberries and blackberries on top of nutella, reserving 20 for garnish.
- Roll up and carefully cut into pieces.
- Garnish with a raspberry or blackberry.
- Serve immediately.
How to make a dessert maki roll
Before starting, the sushi dessert rice must be well cooled so it won't melt the soy sheet. Form 250 mL (1 cup) of rice into a ball in the palm of your hand without pressing too hard. Place it in centre of soy sheet. Use your fingers to spread the grains of rice out on the soy sheet, like a puzzle. It's important to leave a 2-cm (½-in.) strip at top of the sheet free of rice. Press rice gently with your fingers so it sticks, but the grains remain intact. Garnish the maki and roll it up. Place a few grains of rice along the empty strip to help it stick when rolled up. Water should not be used as it is with nori.