- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the grill in the centre position. Oil a round cake pan, 23 cm (9 in.) in diameter. Cut a circle piece of parchment paper of the same size and put it at the bottom of the pan.
- Using a cheese grater, finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another large bowl, using a whisk, beat the eggs, brown sugar, oil, orange juice and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix. Add the grated carrots and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan and cook 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, combine the quark cheese, cream cheese, icing sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Let the cake cool before transferring to a serving dish.
- Spread frosting on the cake, garnish with walnuts, and serve.
Keeps in the fridge for 4 days or can be frozen for 2 months, without the frosting.