- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the grill to the middle position.
- Peel the sweet potato, celery root, and rutabaga. Cut the vegetables in half and make thin slices. Finely chop the chives. Grate the cheese.
- In a medium pot over no heat, whisk the milk, flour, nutmeg and salt together. Pepper generously.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring regularly. When it starts to boil, reduce heat to low. Simmer 2 or 3 minutes, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- In a square 20-cm (8-inch) pan, pour half of the sauce. Spread the veggies in rows, alternating between the sweet potato, celery root and rutabaga.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the vegetables. Sprinkle the cheese, panko and chives over top. Cook in the oven 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
This recipe is best prepared at the last minute.
There are so many firm Québec cheeses to choose from: the classic Oka, a Fin Renard or Seigneur de Tilly from Fromagerie Bergeron, aged cheddars from Fromagerie Perron… Use what you have on hand, or change it up for a unique gratin every time!