- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Combine the soya sauce, water, sugar, lime juice, and sesame oil in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until it's the consistency of syrup, 2 to 3 minutes. Set glaze aside.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and then into thick half-rounds. Thread alternating pieces of eggplant and shrimp onto wooden skewers (soaked an hour beforehand).
- Place brochettes on an oiled barbecue and grill 4 to 5 minutes per side. Brush generously with glaze while grilling.
- Serve 2 brochettes per person. Sprinkle with lime zest and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with jasmine rice.
For a different presentation, cut the eggplant in quarters lengthwise and prepare 4 shrimp brochettes. Glaze and grill on the barbecue. Serve side by side on the plate.
To toast sesame seeds, heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. A dd sesame seeds and cook for about 1 minute, or until aromatic and lightly toasted.