Grilled bison medallion salad from Stefano Faita
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each medallion and run a length of butcher's twine around the bacon to secure it to the medallion.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the red wine, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, and black pepper.
- Pierce the medallions on both sides with a fork to increase flavor penetration, and then place them in a shallow dish.
- Pour the marinade over the medallions and turn them over several times to coat the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours.
- Clean the BBQ grates and oil them well.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Once the grill is extremely hot (250˚C or 500˚F) use your tongs to hold the medallions up sideways, or bacon-side to the grill to give the bacon a quick sear.
- Slowly and carefully rotate the medallions so the bacon gets a quick sear all around, and then place on the upper grill or on a plate.
- Once the bacon on all the medallions is seared, place the medallions flat on the grill and cook them for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove them from the grill and tent them with aluminum foil for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the vinaigrette. Whisk together the orange juice, champagne vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- In a large bowl, place the mesclun, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and basil. Add the vinaigrette and toss gently to combine.
- On a cutting board, slice the bison medallions into strips and coarsely chop the bacon. Scatter bison and bacon over the salad.
- Garnish with fresh orange zest and Parmesan shavings.