- Preheat barbecue to medium-high.
- Oil barbecue rack and place sweet peppers and tomatoes on top. Grill vegetables for about 10 minutes, turning regularly, until the peel blackens. Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool somewhat.
- Remove peel from peppers and tomatoes. Cut peppers into strips and coarsely chop tomatoes.
- On the barbecue side burner or the stove, heat 15 mL (1 tbsp.) oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add two thirds of garlic ( or approx. 2 garlic cloves). Cook for 1 minute. Add peppers, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf and reserve.
- Combine remaining oil, remaining garlic and hot pepper flakes in a bowl. Brush Doré-mi slices on both sides with this mixture. Cover barbecue rack with a sheet of non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place cheese slices on foil and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until cheese is lightly grilled. Divide peperonata among four small plates and top with two cheese slices each. Garnish with parsley leaves. Serve with grilled slices of olive or herb bread.
Aide-gourmet tip: Double or triple the peperonata recipe and serve as a side dish for grilled meat, poultry or fish, or simply on a bed of fresh pasta.