- Preheat broiler.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place halved peppers on foil, skin side up. Work in batches if necessary. Broil on upper rack for 15 minutes or until skin is blackened. Transfer to a sealable plastic bag. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel peppers and cut into large chunks. Set aside.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place halved tomatoes on foil, cut side
- up. Sprinkle with garlic and oregano. Salt and pepper to taste. Work in batches if necessary. Broil on upper rack for 15 minutes. Peel off skin (should remove easily) and cut tomatoes into large chunks. Set aside.
- Heat oil to medium-high in a large pan. Add onion and fennel seeds. Fry for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, sugar and hot pepper flakes, then reserved peppers and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Add basil at end of cooking.
Serve sauce on a bed of linguine and top with grilled chicken strips.
Use sauce to make grilled pepper lasagna.