- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Slice fennel horizontally in 5 mm (¼ in.) thick half circles.
- Place fennel and onion slices into a 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 in.) or 23 cm (9 in.) diameter ovenproof dish.
- Add 30 mL (2 tbsp.) oil, then add salt and mix well.
- Cut potatoes into 5 mm (¼ in.) round slices.
- Place in a bowl with 30 mL (2 tbsp.) olive oil, garlic, thyme or fennel seeds, tomato paste, and paprika. Mix well. Add salt and pepper.
- Lay potato slices over fennel so they overlap slightly all around the edge of the dish. Press lightly to spread them out.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Check with a knife to see if cooked. Broil to a nice golden colour.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper for fish fillets.
- Salt and pepper haddock fillets, brush both sides with tomato paste, and dust with paprika.
- Roll fillets starting from the narrow end.
- Insert wooden skewers to hold rolls together and place vertically on baking sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Serve fish fillets with potato tian.
If desired, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
Taste mixture and adjust amounts as needed. Serve over fish.
DON’T WASTE A SINGLE BIT
Buying tomato paste in a tube is a great way to cut down on waste.
You can use what you need and keep the rest in the fridge.