Holiday turkey stuffed with sausage and Compliments sunflower seed bread
- Preheat the oven to 325oF (160oC).
- Coarsely chop the cubes of Sunflower Seed Bread in a food processor and transfer into a large bowl. Add the sausage meat, dried cranberries, rosemary, clove, egg and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine thoroughly. Pour the mixture into an oven dish with an approximately 4-litre (16-cup) capacity. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Refrigerate.
- Combine the melted butter, 60 mL (1/4 cup) white wine, and herbs in a small bowl and set aside. Rinse the turkey (inside and out) with cold water and blot with paper towel. Stuff the turkey with the onion, carrot and celery and then pour in the remaining wine. Tie the legs together with string.
- Place the turkey, breast up, on the rack of a roasting pan and insert a meat thermometer in fleshiest part of the thigh, making sure that the thermometer does not touch the bone. Brush half the butter/herb combination and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Roast in the oven for 3 hours.
- Baste hourly with the remaining butter/herb combination. Remove the foil and cook for another 45 minutes or until the thermometer reads 180oF (82oC). Cover and let stand before carving. In the meantime, reheat the bread stuffing in the oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- Just before serving, place the turkey on a platter and garnish with sprigs of rosemary and cranberries. Serve with the stuffing, a green salad, and canned cranberry sauce.