- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Melt butter over medium heat in an ovenproof saucepan and sauté garlic and onions until nicely browned.
- Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, sear ham on all sides until nicely browned.
- Add reserved garlic and onion mixture.
- Cover with beer and add bay leaves.
- Bake for 5 hours making sure to turn ham every hour.
- Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Present whole ham on the table. Slice and serve with fresh bread and your choice of vegetables.
There’s no sugar added in this recipe. All the sugar comes from the beer, which doesn’t caramelize the ham as much, but adds loads of flavour. You’ll notice that your choice of beers will make a difference in this recipe.