- In a large pan over low heat, melt butter and heat olive oil.
- Brown onions and potatoes for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of water at a rolling boil, blanch cabbage 3–4 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- In a 20 cm x 30 cm (8 in. x 12 in.) baking dish, spread one-third of the potato mixture, then cover with half the cabbage. Repeat, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve corn starch in cream and chicken broth, then slowly pour over mixed vegetables in baking dish. Cover with cheese slices and bake 30–45 minutes or until boiling and golden brown.
These scalloped potatoes make a perfect side dish and can be served with a good cut of meat like steak or pork loin.