- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas, ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro, onion, garlic and ginger until coarsely chopped.
- Add breadcrumbs, flaxseed, soy sauce, lemon juice and cumin. Pulse until smooth. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Use a ⅓ cup (75 mL) measuring cup to form oval patties. Thread a skewer through each patty lengthwise. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Oil grill grate and preheat to medium-high heat. Place skewers on grill.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes until grill marks are visible, then flip and cook 4 to 5 minutes more. Brush all sides with BBQ sauce in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Serve and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with toasted pitas, lettuce leaves, red onion and sour cream.
Chef’s Secret: Add vegetables like squash or peppers to skewers.
Other option: Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.