- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Line bottom of a small roasting pan with onion slices. Place leg of lamb on top, then salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle lemon zest and rosemary sprigs on top of lamb.
- Pour broth around lamb. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 190°C (375°F). Continue cooking for 45 minutes or until meat is pink inside and internal temperature has reached 63°C (145°F). Cover with foil and cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add cranberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey and pink peppercorns. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until cranberries burst and mixture becomes syrupy.
- Serve lamb slices drizzled with pan juices along with cranberry compote, mashed potatoes and celeriac, and buttered thin green beans. Garnish with fresh rosemary to taste.
For a slightly more exotic occasion, serve the lamb with mango chutney instead of cranberry compote.