- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk sugar, lemon zest and juice, butter, and beaten eggs.
- Whisk constantly for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture has sufficiently thickened.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let cool completely.
- Use electric beaters to whip cream until soft peaks form. Add icing sugar and vanilla extract and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Using a knife or cookie cutter, cut pieces of cake depending on glass container being used.
- In the glass, layer a piece of cake, a layer of lemon cream, and then a layer of whipped cream. Add a second piece of cake, lemon cream, and finally whipped cream.
- Repeat with the 5 remaining glasses. Decorate with mint leaves.
For desserts to go, make the trifles in Mason jars with a lid and bring them on a picnic!
Prepare your own sponge cake with this easy recipe!