Macaroni & applewood-smoked cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, crumble the baguette and sprinkle with melted butter. Bake in oven until dried and brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni in a saucepan of boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- In a skillet, sauté the onions, mushroom, and thyme in 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of butter over medium-high heat. Add the wine and reduce until fully evaporated. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of butter. Add flour and cook 1 minute, mixing with a whisk. Add hot milk. Continue cooking, stirring continuously until sauce thickens.
- Add Parmesan and stir well.
- Add the macaroni, reserved sautéed vegetables, 250 mL (1 cup) smoked cheddar, and the paprika. Mix with wooden spoon until cheese has melted. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Top with the reserved bread crumbs, parsley, walnuts, and remaining cheddar.
- Broil for about 5 minutes. Serve with a spinach salad.