- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- In a bowl, combine mango, raspberries, sugar and cornstarch. Transfer to a 23 cm (9-inch) square Pyrex dish that can hold approximately 2 litres (8 cups). Reserve.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and powdered almonds. Cut in butter using a pastry blender (or 2 knives) until the mixture forms pea-sized crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in milk and almond essence. Combine gently with a fork. Spoon dough onto fruit base (the surface will be uneven). Sprinkle with wheat germ and 15 mL (1 tablespoon) sugar.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the fruit base bubbles. The crust is baked when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow cobbler to cool somewhat before serving.
- Serve each portion with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a spoonful of vanilla yogurt.
* To toast almonds, heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat. Add almonds and roast for about 1 minute, or until they become fragrant and slightly toasted. Grind into a powder using a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.
: You can replace the fresh raspberries or mangos by frozen ones. Thaw and drain fruits before adding to the recipe. Reduce the quantity to 325 mL (1 1/3 cups).
2 servings of fruits