- Preheat the oven to 140˚C (275˚F).
- Remove roast from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Mix together the soup mix, maple syrup, mustard, steak spices, and garlic powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large oven-safe saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown the roast 1 minute per side or until meat is grilled. Remove from heat and brush entire roast with maple syrup mixture.
- Place roast back in saucepan, fat side up, and bake in the oven for 4 hours or until internal temperature indicates 70°C (160°F) for medium doneness. Remove roast from the oven, set on a serving plate, and cover with foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the saucepan over medium-high heat. Deglaze it with water and scrape the bottom to remove browned bits. Allow to reduce for 5 minutes.
- Slice the roast and serve with sauce, mashed potatoes, and grilled root vegetables.
VARIATION: Replace the maple syrup with hoisin sauce, and the steak spices with 15 mL (1 tbsp.) finely chopped fresh ginger and 7 mL (1 1/2 tsp.) orange zest.
CHEF'S SECRET: To always ensure the roast is perfectly cooked, remove it from the oven 5°C (12°F) before desired temperature is reached.