Seasonings for sushi rice:
- Mix all ingredients together until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Put rice in a large bowl and rinse gently with cold water, stirring with a wooden or plastic spoon, and then drain. Repeat 4 or 5 times until water remains clear. This removes excess starch from the rice.
- Follow package instructions to cook rice in water in a rice cooker or saucepan.
- When cooked, stir in sushi rice seasonings with a wooden spoon. Set rice aside for 12 to 20 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times, so that each grain absorbs the seasoning.
- Mix the salmon and Wafu dressing together in a bowl.
- Make the California maki base. (See technique below).
- Place a wide strip of smoked salmon mixture along the middle of each nori sheet.
- Place cucumber above the mixture and avocado below it.
- Roll and use the bamboo mat to make nicely a shaped roll.
- Place 2 slices of prosciutto on each roll and use bamboo mat to roll again.
- Carefully cut into pieces.
- Serve immediately with Wafu dressing on the side.
HOW TO MAKE A CALIFORNIA MAKI ROLL
Form 250 mL (1 cup) of rice into a ball in the palm of your hand without pressing too hard. Place it in centre of the nori sheet on less shiny side. Use fingers to spread rice grains out on nori, like a puzzle. It's important to leave a 2-cm (½-in.) strip at top of the sheet free of rice. Press rice gently with fingers so it sticks, but grains remain intact. Turn sheet rice-side down on work surface with rice-free strip at the bottom.