Mexican chocolate sauce from François Chartier
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, brown the onion and then add tomatoes and brown sugar. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar and reduce by half.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the Chinese five-spice powder and chipotle peppers.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and keep only the liquid.
- Bring strained liquid to a boil in a saucepan, remove from heat, and whisk in the cocoa.
- Serve sauce over grilled meat and top with coconut flakes. Accompany with red beets that are pan fried after being boiled with nutmeg.