- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add ginger, curry paste, cumin, cilantro and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add a little chicken broth if the mixture begins to stick to the pan.
- Add remaining chicken broth, carrots, turnip, sweet potato, parsnip, lentils and chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked and vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a dash of fresh lemon juice, coriander leaves and toasted almonds.
- Serve with naan bread and haloumi cheese.
: For a vegetarian version of the soup, replace chicken by a tin of chick peas, rinsed and drained.