Milk-fed veal chops and eggplant caviar with lime from Christian Bégin
- Lightly oil the barbecue grill and preheat to high. Grill the 4 eggplants, turning regularly, until blackened. Remove from the grill and roll them up in paper towel.
- When lukewarm, cut them in half and scoop out the pulp. Pour the oil in a skillet and fry the pulp for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Purée the mixture in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Next prepare a béchamel sauce: melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the flour all at once and stir well with a wooden spoon. Add milk and stir vigorously so lumps don't form.
- Season with salt and pepper and incorporate the cheese and eggplant purée. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and set aside.
- Oil the barbecue grill again and preheat to medium. Season veal chops with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear veal chops one minute per side.
- Remove from skillet and then grill on the barbecue 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, pour lime juice into skillet where veal was seared and stir, scraping browned bits from bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- To serve, divide eggplant caviar onto 4 plates. Elegantly place a veal chop on top and drizzle with reserved cooking juices. Garnish with a little lime zest and thin strips of raw Vidalia onion. Accompany with green beans.