- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In another bowl, mix warm water, olive oil and sugar. Add yeast and let dissolve.
- Stir the yeast mixture into the flour mixture. Form into a ball and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes, adding more flour if dough is sticky. Put the ball of dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Store dough in a warm place (like an unheated oven with only the light on, above the refrigerator, etc.) until it doubles in volume, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Transfer onion mixture to large bowl. Add turkey, mozzarella, cilantro, barbecue sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Punch down dough. Roll dough about 0.5 cm (½-inch) thick. Using a round, 9-cm (3½-in.) cookie cutter, cut out about 20 circles, re-rolling the scraps of the dough, as needed.
- Place 15 mL (1 tbsp.) filling in the center of each circle of dough. Lightly brush egg white around the filling. Then fold each circle in half to form a half moon. Brush each mini calzone with egg white. Using a fork, seal the edges and prick holes in the top of each mini calzone to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the mini calzones until golden brown and filling is hot, about 15 to 20 minutes.
*NOTE: You can use a 1-kg (2-lb.) ball of store-bought pizza dough.
For turkey cooking instruction, refer to this oven-roasted turkey