- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease 6 muffin tins.
- Cut the leeks into 3.8 cm (1½ in.) pieces and then cut lengthwise into the centre without cutting through, to create strips.
- In a muffin pan, alternate between leek strips, smoked salmon slices, and cheese slices to form pinwheels, starting from the centre and working toward the outside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and nutmeg in a bowl. Spoon egg mixture over the pinwheels until the muffin cups are full. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the sour cream, lemon zest, and chives in a bowl.
- Once cooked and removed from the oven, top each mini quiche with the sour cream mixture and a smoked salmon rosette. Serve one per person as an appetizer.
Variation: For an even more gastronomical version, line the muffin tins with prosciutto
slices before forming the spirals.