- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large heavy-bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and sear beef cubes on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate.
- Add leeks to the pot, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until lightly golden. Place beef cubes, barley, potatoes, celery roots, carrots, turnips and chick peas in successive layers in the pot.
- Add paprika, cumin, honey, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and garlic bulb. Pour beef stock over top to cover all ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove pot from heat; cover and place in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until meat is tender and barley and vegetables are cooked.
Description: This stew is inspired by the Moroccan cholent or dafina, a traditional Jewish dish that was prepared Friday and cooked 12 to 20 hours for the Sabbath. For a vegetarian version, omit beef cubes and place whole raw eggs (in the shells) directly in the pot.