- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Place peppers on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Cook on top rack under the grill for 30 minutes, turning regularly until the skin blackens on all sides. Transfer peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes. Using a paring knife, remove skin from peppers. Remove membrane and seeds, then slice along one side and open the pepper into a big rectangle. Place on paper towel.
- In the meantime, lightly brush both sides of sliced zucchini with 5 mL (1 tsp.) of oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook under broiler about 5 minutes on each side or until zucchini is grilled. Place on paper towel to cool.
- Mix remaining oil with garlic. Cut top off loaf and scoop out the interior with a spoon, leaving a shell 2 cm (1 inch) thick.Brush inside of the loaf and top with oil mixture. Arrange slices of ham on bottom of hollowed loaf, cover with zucchini slices, then with half the basil leaves. Continue with a layer of turkey slices, the grilled peppers, the remaining basil, and finally the slices of provolone.
- Place top back on bread then wrap with foil. Refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge and let sit at room temperature 20 minutes before serving. Cut into eighths.
The muffuleta is tastier when it's served at room temperature. As with wine and cheese, let it sit out a few minutes for optimum flavour. For a crispier crust, place the foil-wrapped muffuleta in the oven at 200°C (400°F) for 10 minutes.