- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Spread bread cubes onto 2 cookie sheets.
- Toast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until almost dry. Let cool and transfer to large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 12 minutes, or until crispy.
- Transfer to paper towels on a plate. Reserve.
- Remove excess bacon fat from skillet. Sauté onions and mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add wine and reduce by half, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add this mixture to bread cubes along with bacon, thyme, pine nuts, pepper, and egg.
- Grease 20 cm × 25 cm (8 in. × 10 in.) baking dish with a little olive oil.
- Transfer dressing to baking dish and sprinkle with bouillon.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes in oven.
- Remove foil and bake 8 more minutes, until top is crusty and golden. Serve.
To toast pine nuts, cook in a very hot, lightly oiled skillet, stirring constantly. Once nuts are nicely golden, quickly remove from skillet and cool on a plate lined with a paper towel.
For even more flavour, this recipe can be prepared in a cast-iron skillet.