Mushroom stratta from Josée di Stasio
- In a non-stick skillet, heat enough olive oil to fry mushrooms with minimal stirring. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Brush a 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 in.) baking dish with butter. Add half the bread cubes, the spinach, mushrooms, and half the feta, and then top with remaining bread cubes.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl, add the milk, green onions, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into the baking dish and cover with remaining feta. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Bring to room temperature at least an hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the dish comes out clean. If the top browns too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
- Serve stratta with a green salad on the side if you like.
- For more flavourful mushrooms, add a minced onion or two shallots, a chopped clove of garlic, and some salt when frying... or visit IGA.net to discover my recipe for oven-roasted mushroooms!
- Avoid stirring mushrooms when frying so they ’ll produce less liquid. This will result in tastier mushrooms with a nicer colour.