- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pastry square on top.
- Brush with beaten egg, about ½ cm (¼-in.) around the edge of the pastry.
- Fold edges over toward the centre and press down on them with prongs of a fork.
- Prick the dough all over except for the edges.
- Mix together the apples with 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of granulated sugar in a bowl. Spread them out nicely on the pastry dough.
- Brush edges with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the crème fraîche, remaining beaten egg, and remaining granulated sugar. Pour over the apples, sprinkle with almonds, and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Set at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Unfold the pastry dough once it's thawed and place in refrigerator on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
If not using prepared pastry dough, roll dough out to the indicated size.
Leftover crème fraîche? Add some lemon zest, salt, and pepper to it and serve it with smoked salmon, add it to mashed potatoes, or use it to garnish cream soup.