- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add oil mixture and water to the dry ingredients and beat for about 1 minute, or until batter is smooth.
- Wrap each waffle bowl in aluminum foil, folding over edge by about 2 cm (1 inch), but leaving the inside unlined to hold the cupcake batter.
- Pour batter about halfway up each bowl.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, remove aluminum foil, and then cool completely.
- Decorate cupcakes with ice cream, berries, candy, or chocolate chips.
For red-nosed reindeer: Cover top with chocolate icing. Use a vanilla wafer for the face, Smarties for the nose (a red one!) and eyes, and pretzels for the antlers.
For snowman: Spread vanilla icing on cupcake and sprinkle large-crystalled white sugar over top to make glistening snow. Use mini chocolate chips to make the face and a sliver of dried apricot for a bright orange nose.
For melting snowman: Cover only part of the cupcake with white icing to create the illusion of melting snow. Use a Reese’s chocolate cup for the hat.