- Soak dry yellow peas in a large bowl of water for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté pork fat and onions over medium-high heat, without browning.
- Add carrots and celery and sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add reserved peas, broth and herbs; then season with pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add ham and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and pork fat, if desired, and serve.
For even more authentic taste, keep ham’s cooking water and replace half the chicken broth with this water. Careful! The ham’s cooking water will be salty, so watch the salt you add to the soup.