- Preheat oven broiler.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a fork.
- In another bowl, use electric beaters to beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Add beaten egg yolks and season with pepper, and then gently fold the mixture with a spatula.
- Heat butter in a 22-25 cm (9-10 in.) non-stick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour in egg mixture and spread out evenly in the skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and chives. Cook for 4-6 minutes, reducing heat after 2 minutes so the bottom of the omelette doesn't burn.
- Finish cooking under the broiler; place skillet 10 cm (4 in.) from the element.
You can serve the omelette with a cherry tomato salad (dressed with oil, salt, and herbs), ham, or even potato and smoked salmon rostis.