- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage meat and break up with a spoon. Fry until nicely browned and well cooked, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in vegetable broth and add pasta. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, half covered, until pasta is al dente and the water almost completely absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes (If the pasta absorbs the liquid too quickly, add a little broth).
- When pasta is almost cooked, add spinach and cover until tender (Do this in several batches if necessary).
- Remove from heat, add Parmesan, and serve.
Chef’s tip: By varying the type of dry pasta and the brand, you may have to adjust the amount of liquid required to cook the pasta. So keep an eye on the pasta and add small ladles of broth one at a time as needed.