- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Fry onion for 3 minutes. Add beef and cook for 5 minutes, breaking chunks with a wooden spoon, until no longer pinkish.
- Add mushrooms and red pepper, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir together tomato sauce and water. Add to beef and vegetable mixture along with pepper flakes, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Break lasagna noodles into pieces and stir into mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until noodles are tender, adding water if needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Remove bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Replace Parmesan cheese with 250 mL (1 cup) shredded mozzarella, stirring into mixture just before serving.