This recipe is courtesy of Agropur.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and salt, and cook until onions wilt and begin to caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and pepper and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, until onions are golden brown and caramelized. Stir occasionally to make sure onions don't stick.
- Deglaze saucepan with beer. Simmer over high heat until liquid evaporates and onions are almost dry, about 5 to 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf and sprig of thyme.
- Stir in flour and continue cooking and stirring over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until flour takes on a faint beige colour and makes a slight hissing sound indicating it's cooked.
- Add broth and simmer over medium heat for another 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to broil. Ladle the hot soup into onion soup bowls or any other type of ovenproof ramekin. Garnish each bowl with a baguette slice and sprinkle with grated OKA.
- Place bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling. Carefully remove from oven and serve.