- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 60 mL (¼ cup) sugar. Add zest and butter. Rub in using your fingers or two knives until the
- mixture has a sandy, grainy texture (about the size of small peas).
- Add 175 mL (¾ cup) of buttermilk and knead mixture with your hands without overdoing it.
- Place in a 20 or 22–cm (8 or 9–in.) cast-iron skillet.
- Even out the top with your hands and precut into 8 scones. Brush with remaining buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake on middle rack for 30 minutes or until slightly golden. Serve hot or warm with fresh cream or yogurt, and apple cranberry jam.
- If you prepare the scones ahead of time, warm them up in the oven before serving.
Watch cooking times: if you use another type of skillet, cooking time will be shorter. If necessary, cover skillet handle with aluminum foil.