Orchard chicken breasts with prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add apple, pear and thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fruit is hot but still crisp. Transfer preparation to a small bowl and reserve.
- Slit each chicken breast lengthwise along the side, leaving about 1 cm (1/2 inch) intact on either side to make a pocket. Stuff chicken with fruit preparation and close. Season chicken breasts with pepper and then wrap each with two slices of prosciutto.
- Place chicken in a skillet with the prosciutto ends skillet-side down. Bake for 35 minutes, or until meat is no longer pinkish and internal temperature of the chicken has reached 77°C (170°F). Remove chicken from the skillet and keep warm. Heat skillet over high heat and pour in red wine.
- Scrape the bottom of the skillet to remove browned bits. Add beef consommé and diluted cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when the sauce has thickened. Serve chicken breasts with the sauce, and accompany with rice and slender green beans.
- Add raisins or dried cranberries to the fruit mixture for more flavour.
- Replace thyme by another fresh herb of your choice.